Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The Daddy Diaries: Parenting is a Contact Sport

Make no mistake about it, parenting can be painful. Physically.

Both Lauren and I have nursed sore backs from carrying Kai around all day. Lauren's shoulders and my biceps occasionally ache as well. Our dear son's freakishly fast-growing fingernails have been known to latch on to arms, breasts, and even faces. But by far the most fearsome weapon in Kai's arsenal of pain is his head. One sneak attack from his surprisingly hard noggin can leave me reeling. Yesterday morning he whacked me so hard on the bridge of the nose that tears sprang into my eyes (I was also laughing hysterically, which may have contributed).

Here's a recent pic of me trying to burp Kai, while hiding from the wrath of his steel-plated melon:




Owie.

2 comments:

GooberMonkey said...

So glad you posted this picture - I laughed so hard when I saw it on the camera the other night!

Karen C. said...

Bob, I love your insights and your writing. Very funny. I hope Ben will be able to join in stay at home parenting at some point, if only for a few weeks. Until then, keep it coming.