Friday, November 05, 2004

Especially for Karen

The Apprentice is one of those shows I wish I could ignore, but just can't. Donald Trump's decisions frequently strike me as inconsistent, lacking in regard to group dynamics or leadership skills, and utterly absurd. I watch the show, and I don't like him. I don't like what he stands for, or the role that people like him play in business, pop culture and the American landscape. The disciples with which he populates the show are equally appalling, not least in their utter devotion to him. It's painful to watch. But I watch anyway, completely wrapped up in the drama, politics and psychology of the game.

Why?

Uh-oh. Bad news. Writing this post just sucked me further into the show. I went looking for the show's url and I discovered that a season one favorite, Heidi, writes a weekly online commentary about the season two happenings. It's great, as is she. In that, 'I can't believe I think this is great' kind of way. Oy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Apprentice allows us to experience the true drama and politics found in our real lives in a way that has no consequence. For instance, you have the ability to pick a favorite, defend this person, and then sit and watch as people you have no faith in and with whom you fundamentally disagree pick a winner. Sound familiar?

GooberMonkey said...

And so quickly, it's brought back to presidential politics! Yes, sadly, it does sound familiar. Perhaps the reason that I hate Trump so much is that he often fires my favorites, and for the very reasons I like them. Which may also explain the depth of my frustration with many of my countrymen at the moment.

Anonymous said...

On that note, who do you think it going to win? I vote for that girl with short hair... Maria, I think.

GooberMonkey said...

Is she the one who is kind of reminiscent of the chick who appeared on season one of America's Next Top Model? I'm not sure who will win - also not convinced that Trump will choose a woman when it comes down to it.